History of our School
In 1831, an educational system was set up in Ireland. One of its main aims was to provide trained teachers to work in the new national schools. The idea was that able pupils would be encouraged to stay at national school as monitors and train under an experienced teacher. Therefore, the concept of the ‘Model School’ was set up as non-denominational national schools.
When the Commissioners of National Education began teacher training, it set up a Central Training Institution in Marlborough Street, Dublin with three central model schools for boys, girls and infants.
In 1834, steps were taken to extend both the model schools and the training establishment. Between 1848 and 1857, other model schools were built in Limerick, Galway, Clonmel, Waterford, Kilkenny, Trim, Dunmanway, Newry, Ballymena, Coleraine, Belfast, Athy and of course Bailieborough.
The Model School officially opened on 7th May 1849. Sir John Young – Lord Lisgar provided the site and the finance to erect the Model School. At that time it was a fee paying school. It catered for the academic and vocational abilities of it’s pupils. From the late 1950’s it became a Central School incorporating many schools in the area. The school now serves a wide catchment area catering primarily for all Protestant children
In 1870, the Royal Commission into Primary Education examined the model school system and recommended that the schools should be closed and that the buildings should be used as ordinary locally managed national schools. Teacher training was to move into residential training colleges offering one-two year full time courses and model schools were to be used for teaching practice only.